I want to make you aware of a fantastic opportunity to dive right into helping with the relief efforts in Tohoku. The AGMF (Assemblies of God Missionary Fellowship) is working together with the JAG (Japan Assemblies of God) to send teams to the Tohoku region and we are requesting volunteers. Perhaps you or people in your churches, or people from your districts and churches in America want to volunteer. We have streamlined the process. All you have to do is complete the required Volunteer Registration Form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for people who can give a full week of Monday-Friday. Typically we will be driving vans up to Tohoku from Tokyo on Monday and returning on Friday. If people are coming from the States we want them to be able to arrive in Japan on a Friday evening if possible. This will give us Saturday to have orientation and give them time to go shopping to buy their own food and water that they will need to take with them to Tohoku. We ask that they stay at least until the following Saturday. The churches in Tohoku are requesting volunteer help only during the weekdays at this point.
If you or someone you know wants to volunteer for one or two days, then please have them complete the same form, and we will send them information on volunteering at the Relief Headquarters on the JAG campus.
On Saturday, April 16th our first team from outside America will be coming from Saipan. Six teachers from a Christian school will be coming. Joyce Kitano will join the team as the interpreter and Amanda Fosburg, MAPS worker, will be with them as well. They will be going to Tohoku together with a team of Japanese that the JAG is putting together. Here is their tentative schedule. I share this with you so you can get an idea of what future teams will be doing.
- Sat 4/16 Arrive at Narita Airport, Japan at 8:30 AM. Take the limousine bus to Ikebukuro, then a local train to Komagome (The JAG headquarters is here). Stay at the JAG lodge on Sat & Sun night. Saturday afternoon: Orientation and Shopping for groceries.
- Sun 4/17 Minister at a local church.
- Mon 4/18 Go in a van to Tohoku, Stay at the Peters' cabin in Takayama.
- Tues 4/19 - Fri 4/22 Volunteer work will include cleanup and perhaps distributing relief goods.
- Fri 4/22 Return to Komagome. Stay at the JAG lodge Fri-Sun nights.
- Sat 4/23 Debrief, rest, sightseeing and shopping in Tokyo if they desire.
- Sun 4/24 Minister at a local church
- Mon 4/25 Return to Saipan